Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Daddy's Little Girl.

Today in the car ride home, my dad brought up the idea of me becoming a medical assistant to get experience in the medical field. Then he said he asked his doctor friends if I could work in their office. Then he brought up the idea of pharmacy school. I'M STRESSED ENOUGH AS IS trying to get into undergraduate school. I'm stressed enough worrying about HOW I'M GOING TO PAY for college, because I am adamant about paying my own way. I would rather take on a job at McDonalds and pay off my 60,000 loan, than have my dad slave away to pay for my college education, the house, and his own college education (yes, he's going after his bachelors, at 55 years old. gotta give the dude some credit).
He is constantly pushing his ideas onto his wife (and my mother is the sort of traditional woman to just take it), my brother (who moved half way across the world to get away from my dad's ideologies) and myself (who is constantly trying to break away to do something/anything that I LOVE, rather than what my father thinks is going to bring in the most stable money). So I got fed up and just said "I will decide what I want to do with my life. You can not tell me what to do."
And all he said was.... "Good luck." :( :( :(
I understand how controlling my dad is and I know that I have to accept it because he's stubborn and will not change his fundamental ways. But I wish that I could get SOME kind of support for the things that I'm passionate about. He's never been to a robotics event. He's never ever everrrrrrrr been to a Volleyball game. He's been to maybe one award ceremony, to the point where I don't even go to those any more because there's just no point.
Yes, he pays for everything I own, use, want, eat, blah. But I'm not even that bad. My brother spends hundreds of dollars at the club (of Dad's money, not his own, and he HAS a job). Sigh. And I even feel bad for wishing for better parents, because I know all that he has done and sacrificed for me. I guess all I can take away from this is that I will be the greatest, most loving, coolest yet tough loving mom in. the. world.

*This is why I relate to this night's Glee episode so much. The asian dad said "Stop dancing. Be a doctor. If you don't quit the school musical, you are not my son anymore." And the asian teen dancer said "I'm not going to be a doctor. I'm going to be a professional dancer. Then I guess I don't have a dad anymore." I applaud him for standing up for his own life. Family comes first, always. But I have to put my own interests before my father's, because in the end...it's me that's going to be miserable doing something HE wanted me to do, while he is no longer on this Earth.